The Presidential Palace is located in Helsinki, at the corner of Pohjoisesplanadi and Mariankatu, on one side of the Market Square.
The architectural drawings for the building, which was originally completed in 1820 as a merchant’s manor and designed by Pehr Granstedt, were finalised by Carl Ludvig Engel. The house was purchased by the Crown in 1837 to be converted into an imperial palace, after which it was extended to house the large halls. During the First World War, the building was used as a Russian military hospital. In August 1919, after Finland gained its independence and the Republic of Finland had been established, the building was taken into use as the presidential residence, and President of the Republic K.J. Ståhlberg and his family moved in.
The three-storey Empire-style edifice currently houses the offices and reception rooms of the President of the Republic as well as the Office of the President of the Republic. The Presidential Palace also serves as the venue for the annual Independence Day Reception and other ceremonies such as the formal state visit celebrations as well as other meetings and summits. The Presidential Palace took its current appearance in the 2012–2014 extensive renovation.